Tuesday 21 May 2013

Katy Perry: Part of Me (2012) - ★★★

Director: Dan Cutforth, Jane Lipsitz

Here's a simple breakdown for you:

If you like Katy Perry, then you'll like this movie.

If you don't care for her music or story, then avoid this one.


I'm a huge fan of Katy Perry. I remember when I was 13, my sister gave me $20 for my birthday. We went to Kmart looking for a CD to buy. It was a tossup between Lady Gaga's The Fame and Katy Perry's One of the Boys. At the time, Hot n Cold was my favorite song in the world, so Perry ended up winning. I've been obsessed with a number of albums, and One of the Boys is one I never got tired of listening to. It really spoke to me and gave me something to look forward to. Since then I've always been interested in the story of Katy Perry. This movie sheds light on her story in a fairly effective way.

One of the main components of this autobiographical film is footage from Perry's Teenage Dream concert. It's actually really awesome to see, filled with funny moments, cool costumes and some of her greatest songs. However, the concert footage took up too much time of the film for my liking. It was good filler material, but I would've liked to have seen more about WHO Katy Perry is instead.

With that being said, we do get to see an intimate look at Perry, both from her past and present. The greatest part of this "documentary" is when we get to see how she became a popstar. It was pretty eye-opening to find out that it took her over 6 years to break into the business and get noticed. Plus her personal life at home was quite interesting to look at.

We also get to see bits of Perry and her former-husband Russell Brand. At one point she says something along the lines of "I think I've found my soulmate." About half an hour later, we see a big chunk of how and why her marriage fell apart. It gets quite emotional, I even felt sad watching it happen.

I enjoyed this movie because I'm a fan of Katy Perry. If I look past that, it was a pretty average biopic. I think they could have focused more on her and less on her concert/fans. However, I suppose some people feel special when their favorite musicians say nice things about them. So if you like her, by all means go see this movie!

Note: My absolute favorite Katy Perry songs are Simple and Thinking of You. What are you favorites? (If you have any)


No comments:

Post a Comment